Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Chapter and Verse


I recently joined a book swap club – http://www.readitswapit.co.uk/

It is a free service allowing registered users to create a list of books they are prepared to swap.

Once that is created users can either be passive or assertive – search for a book and your list is emailed to the owner who then either accepts or declines; alternatively allow your list to be hunted down and browse your offers.

Nearly all users will do a bit of both.

It is a highly applaudable site, with a well-populated stock of books, a bubbling forum and the act of swapping engenders a sense of community, taking me back to my “got it, got it, got it, haven’t” Panini sticker days.

It happily exists alongside the library and the bookshop. It is slightly quicker for newer, in demand, titles than the library and one’s bookshelf remains stocked.

I give it a thorough recommendation and I have recently stumbled across the Elvira of the community.

Regular users have five star ratings based on their past swaps. It is almost impossible to be awarded less than four stars.

I think you have to post immaculate, unsolicited Jeffrey Archer novels.

On this basis, I happily agreed to scoot Prozac Nation to a person with an email address staring with “crazychick”

The warning bells went unheeded.

Over two weeks later I’m still waiting for my copy of The Godfather.

I have since looked at her profile.

One star ratings abound and a hell of a lot of pissed off bookish types.

Comments akin to

“What have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully? Don’t tell me you are innocent. Because it insults my intelligence and makes me very angry”

It appears even in the book swap community there are people running rackets.


(PS – don’t let this put you off the site. It is extremely good.)

1 comment:

Jeremiad1971 said...

This was my exact swap:

Description: Swapping Prozac Nation for The Godfather/the Last Don with textqueen
Agreed Date: 04/03/2007
Status: Waiting for you and textqueen to confirm that you have received your books.
Rating Given: no rating given yet