Friday, July 11, 2008

Scripting and Drifting - Day 3


Well, I managed a great achievement yesterday, as I found myself at a venue even closer to my home than the local pub or Cafe Nero.


The cinema bar/cafe is a mere 35-40 yards from my home and so it represents a disturbing trend, one that could easily suggest the slow contraction of agoraphobia.


Again, I feel the need to defend myself by arguing that circumstances were not conducive to a trip further afield as I had to fit the screenplay in after the poker blog and before a game of badminton.


At the very least, I thought the place would be inspiring. Its lobby is full of quotations from some of my favourite films - quick challenge - name the film -


'Have you got the Duke?'


I had to conceive a scene taking place in a deserted loch followed by a chase to a cottage. The incessant Abba music, pumped out to promote the release of Mamma Mia! didn't really help.


(Two Dancing Queens Only £10!!!!)


(It's a cocktail)


When Fernando came on, I was heavily distracted by memories of playing California Games on the Mega-Drive as a kid. It featured a rodeo section and the player had to ride a bull, the most docile of which was called Ferdinand, who loped around the ring trying to remember his more testosterone fuelled days.


The cinema was also offering a lunchtime mother 'n baby screening and so I was the only adult customer boasting a Y-chromosome. There were some smaller people flaunting their maleness but they were all distracted by the sensory pleasures available to them and were impressing all of the available female talent with their ability to gurgle 'n burp.


By comparison, I felt like Ferdinand.


Time - 60 mins.


Word Count - 600+


New Ideas - none. (Times I wish I could wow women by going ga-ga - 4)


Overall Rating as a Writing Environment - 6/10 (Free wi-fi a bonus but also a distraction)

1 comment:

Simon Argent said...

Have you got the Duke?

Well, my first thought was Maverick, then you mentioned something about cocktails which left me stumped!

So, I sauntered over to IMDB which gave me nothing. Not to be outwitted, I googled the quote. This brought back TWO results. One of them was your post!!!!!

Are you sure that this is a real quote????

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=mozclient&num=50&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=%22Have+you+got+the+Duke%3F%22