Sunday, July 13, 2008

Scripting and Drifting - Day 5


This time, I managed to stray outside of my postal code.


I made it as far as the cafe at Tate Britain, which is a twenty minute bus ride away from the flat.


The script is developing more problems so I thought that a little more physical effort might stimulate the brain but unfortunately it didn't work very well.


Ironically, I received some sympathetic background: the Neoclassical gallery is currently hosting Work No.850 by Martin Creed.


Every thirty seconds, a different person will sprint, as fast as they can, through the gallery.


It begins at 2pm.



I arrived at 11.30 and was presented with an empty gallery so I had to descend to the coffee shop without seeing 'the beauty of human movement in its purest form.'


It wasn't in the basement either.


It is possible that the novelist Tim Lott was sitting opposite me - I like to think that he spotted the lap-top and nodded with sympathy when he clocked my idea-free face, but it was probably just some weekend dad wishing he was at Lord's.


After I had finished I spotted a series of leaflets, encouraging visitors to view art in different ways. Each one is a sequence of works that someone has picked to reflect states of mind.


I picked 'The I'm Hungover Collection' - I wasn't, but it was the most appropriate as it wasn't a 'rainy day', I don't (particularly) 'like yellow' and I haven't just split up.


I just needed to be mentally ushered around without any thoughts about whether or not I was doing the right thing - a common feeling after sixty minutes of script-writing.


The idea of the leaflets is to inspire visitors to 'create your own collection'. Each should contain six pieces of art and a story that links them.


I urge you to have a go. For the hangover collection, the links were so tenuous that my faith in anyone's ability to create a story has been chiseled away.


Time - 55 mins.


Word Count - 800+ - The Lott Effect


New Ideas - 1 - an infusion tea called Gunpowder green


Overall Rating as a Writing Environment - 5/10



No comments: