Monday, July 14, 2008

Scripting and Drifting - Day 6


Yesterday, I hit the wall.

I spent the whole of the afternoon reading the paper and a history book, before having a few drinks in the evening, then watching The Darjeeling Limited for inspiration.

This happens to me a lot during the writing process and I suspect I’m not alone: James Joyce was once found by a friend - the author was slumped over his keyboard.

‘What’s the matter?’

‘I’ve only managed seven words today’

‘Well, at least you have got seven’

‘Yes, but I’m not sure I have them in the right order’

Anyway, back down in the world of a wannabe hack, the problems are proliferating. Standard advice is to get out and seek ideas, that there is no such thing as a writer’s block and that any strain is simply a sign that you need further stimulation.

I agree – it is great advice – however, when you hit the wall, it often provokes thoughts of self-doubt, strips you of motivation and leaves you surrendering to the call of the couch which ultimately, of course, increases your self-loathing.


There are so many problems with the script that the answers will not come easily.

Here is a quick check list:

1. The set up is too long.
2. The hero is passive.
3. The actions of the government are unexplained.
4. The hero disappears from the page.
5. There is a huge hole in the narrative.
6. The characterisation doesn’t thoroughly explore survival guilt nor effectively portray a paranoid schizophrenic.
7. The plot is too similar to the Cormac McCarthy novel The Road which has been filmed and is released in November.

Only seven problems, you say?

I’m not sure I have them in the right order.

1 comment:

Simon Argent said...

I'm sure you will get over it quickly.

Now what I wanted to say....

You need to have 2 seperate blogs! One for all the poker stuff and one for everything else!

I basically ignore the poker so have to sift through to find the other stuff :)